Williams released this in 1980. About the time Connie and I met each other. I dedicate this to her.
I tell people that without her I'd be two months behind on everything. Five days away from being evicted from wherever I was living and ten days away from being in jail.
The truth is I'd probably be dead.
She never hounded me about my drinking. Only that I should cut back. She came into Sam's Place after work one night and I was drinking a double Irish whiskey with water back. She said "This is cutting down?" I answered that I wasn't drinking my usual beer with it!
I was the type of alkie that truthfully never understood the concept of love let alone believe in it. The breadth, length, capacity of this thing. I grew up knowing that it was quantified, qualified, provable, demanded like it was a commodity of sorts. I never thought of it as just existing.
That passage in the Bible that talks about what love isnt'?. That may all be true, but whoever wrote it never grew up on Mill St.
My wife has always believed in me and I her. She would tell me she loved me and I always asked why.
She would say she didn't know what she'd do without me and I'd say "Cartwheels."
It's hard to accept love unconditionally from someone so willing to give it. When you think so little of yourself you have to question the judgement of someone like that.
She was talking with friends one night and came home with the announcement that they (she and her friends) decided that we (me and my friends) didn't respect them! I said "Well!" "You obviously don't respect yourselves!" "Look who the hell you're married to!:" That's a funny line but in the fogged mind of a newly recovering drunk it is mostly all the truth we can muster.
This tribulation of possible cancer we're working through has given me pause. I contemplate my mortality more now than before. I've mostly been someone who lived their life with impunity. With my higher powers help and the undeniable love Connie and I share I'll be better for it regardless of the outcome.
And so it goes.
Omnia vincit amor my friends
No comments:
Post a Comment